Our 21st-century ambition is to meet the needs of an environment under pressure, and the challenges and expectations of a fast-moving world. We want to continue to maintain the highest standards of care for everything we look after, while working in a way that feels relevant and necessary to people and their day-to-day lives. Finally, we want to equip everyone in the Trust with the skills and resources they need to do their jobs with ease and confidence, and feel proud of our work.
Our strategy explains how we will do that. We will:
Look after what we have by:
- reducing our conservation backlog and funding our annual conservation
- reducing energy use by 20% and sourcing 50% of energy from renewables by 2020.
Play our part in restoring a healthy, natural environment by:
- improving our habitats, soils and water to a good condition for nature
on our estates;
- working with others to conserve and renew the nation’s most important landscapes;
- developing and sharing new economic models for land use that supports nature; and
- championing the importance of nature in our lives today.
Offer experiences of our places that move, teach and inspire by:
- raising the standard of presentation and interpretation at all the places we look after;
- making our outdoors experience better for all ages and needs; and
- exploring and revealing our cultural heritage through events and exhibitions.
Help look after the places where people live by:
- finding new solutions for managing local green space;
- celebrating local heritage and equipping communities to care for it; and
- engaging in shaping good housing and infrastructure development.
None of this is possible without the support of staff, volunteers, members, donors and visitors. Over the next ten years we will do more to help members enjoy their membership; help staff feel more confident and build their expertise; ensure volunteers feel that their skills are recognised and that opportunities to do more exist.
We want to continue to
maintain the highest
standards of care for
everything we look after